Monday, March 14, 2011

Kites and Cacti (March 14, 2011)

Hey everyone!
I included a few more pictures this week than I normally do, so let's get some explainin' going. Most of these were taken last week on P-Day after I had already emailed home. The first is me holding a kickball. I accidentally kicked it on top of a chain link fence and popped it. Fail. Elder Tameilau wasn't too happy, considering it was his kickball. Elder Egan had a kite, so we flew that instead of kickball. One is of all of us as a district flying the kite, and then one of me flying it. Elder Malmberg found a pair of sunglasses at Walgreens for a dollar and put them on with his suit. The one of myself and Elder Malmberg together is us at the church waiting for our splits. Nobody showed up. Unfortunately that happened multiple times this week. But hey, yo think that's bad? Try getting your kite stuck in a 30 ft. tall cactus. Mom and dad I have my original memory card that I'll be sending home this week. It's the one that has all the pictures from September up until now. Sorry it's taken me so long to get it to you.
Glad to hear that things are going well back home. Mom I hope you're feeling better. Sis I hear you'll be trying hurdles? Awesome! I'm sure you'll love it. You just have to be patient is all. It takes lots of practice and you can't be frustrated because you've never done it before. You'll notice that not a ton of people line up to try the hurdles. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. You're going to do great, I can't wait to see hear how your races will go.
This past week has been pretty good. It's starting to get warm again, and it's been in the 80's every day. One day it must have touched the 90's and Elder Malmberg and I are dreading the summer. It'll be here quick...but we're prepared. I'm thankful I have a Camelbak, I don't know what I'd do without it. I laugh because the most northern border of my area is a road called "Camelback." The sun just takes it out of ya. I chug water like crazy and I feel great. I've got plenty of sunscreen and thrift store pairs of slacks for long days of tracting. No worries, I'm doing well.
Did I ever mention J.J.? J.J. is a kid we're teaching who is about 17 years old. He's a good friend of a recent convert named Devante, who was baptized about a year ago. J.J. has actually been going to mutual with Devante off and on, and even went to a father and son's campout last summer with Devante and a member of the ward who really acts as a father figure to Devante. J.J. knows some members of the ward already but has never actually been to church. We met J.J. for the first time back in January but the return appointment fell through. We've started meeting with him again and have been teaching him here and there. We invited him to be baptized and he said he would. We brought him to an investigator's baptism (in a different ward) and he really enjoyed it. J.J. came to church yesterday at 8 am and stayed all three hours! He was a little tired in sacrament meeting, which I can't blame him, but he was wide awake for the first speaker. All week he's had questions about temples and families and how we can be together forever. The first speaker spoke on that topic and answered all of his questions. It really was a testimony builder of the revelation we can receive as we attend church. Especially since in the Garden Lakes ward, an investigator who we've been trying to get to church for over a month STILL didn't show, and both speakers answered every question he's ever asked us. Anywho, back to J.J. He loved Sunday school and Priest's quorum. The priest's quorum class was really small, only two other kids there besides J.J., and Bishop Hopkins taught the lesson. We really tailored it around J.J. and any questions he had. We had a great lesson on doctrine and faith that got J.J. involved and answering questions. Long story short, he has a baptismal date for April 9.
Things are going well down in Avondale with me and Elder Malmberg. Transfers are next week and I honestly have no idea how it could go. I'll be sure to let you know what happens, I'm sure we'll know about this time next Monday. Whatever happens though, the Lord is in it. He knows where we need to go and who we need to see. I've been reflecting on the line of the hymn I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go that says, "So trusting my all to thy tender care, and knowing thou lovest me, I'll do thy will with a heart sincere: I'll be what you want me to be." I think Hugh B. Brown's talk titled "God is the Gardner" better explains the point I'm trying to make, but it just makes sense. Despite the our flaws and mistakes, He loves us and knows what He wants us to become. I'm learning that a little more each day. 
I love you all and hope you're doing well. Write back soon. Take care and be good.
Much love,
Elder Eric James Turner
Kickball + Fence = Fail

Watching someone fly a kite. Fun?
Eric Turner.....Kite Flyer Extraordinaire


Stood up for splits......again!
Ummm....sorry about your kite....

No comments:

Post a Comment