Monday, November 15, 2010

Email from 11/8/10

Hey everyone!
 
I had to laugh just now when I saw a new email from mom in my inbox. I stopped where I was and read what mom had to day before I picked up where I'm typing right now. I loves the pictures of Marlee playing volleyball, I wish I could actually see her play. Glad to hear things are well back home. I was just thinking about the ginko, and mom tells me it's still kickin'. You have to catch that tree at the right time when all the leaves fall. There's only about a three hour window when that happens. I always love watching the leaves fall. I bet fall is nice and cool back home. Yesterday was about 88 degrees maybe? It still feels like a Tri-City summer to me.
 
Well I'll just get the worst news out of the way, Michele will not be baptized on Saturday. She hasn't been keeping some of the commitments she made, and now we have to push her baptism back again. She's still made a ton of progress from where she was before, but still has a lot of other little things to work on. That happens though. We just have to love her and keep working with her. This whole week has actually been testing my patience. We had so many appointments with people and probably 90 percent of them cancelled. Once again, these things happen. We hit the streets a lot and talk to as many people as we can. We certainly meet a lot of interesting people. The worst contact we had this week was a basher. Holy cow this guy is so....loved by his Father in Heaven (as for being loved by me, well, I'm getting there). We had just talked with a teenager and gave him a card. This basher comes around the corner and starts ripping into us. I always know something interesting is about to happen when they say, "Don't get me wrong, these are good guys." Then it gets ugly. He started saying the most ignorant, farfetched things about the church I've ever heard. I tried not to laugh just because of how crazy some of it was. When he finished he told the kid to throw away the card we had given him. I was so devastated to see this kid fold the card and throw it away. We just kept going along.
 
A few days ago we were sitting on the curb under a tree trying to figure out where we wanted to go. A woman in her mid 20's came outside for a smoke and saw us. We introduced ourselves and she was very friendly. We spoke with her for a few minutes and it became a mini-lesson in her driveway. I can't exactly put into words what happened next, but the Spirit was so strong as she talked about how her divorce was tearing her life apart. It was a touching moment that strengthened my testimony of the knowledge that there is a prophet on the earth today who leads and guides us. A prophet who is called by our God, who loves us and does not want us to wander alone in the dark. Once again I can't entirely explain this personal Spiritual witness, but it happened and I can't deny it. We may or may not ever see her again, but our visit ended on a beautiful note. We bore testimony that she would be ok. She thanked us for our time and wished us luck on our way. I'm grateful for the opportunity we had to meet her.
 
I hope that all is well wherever everyone is. Things are great is Arizona. Transfers are next week, so that should be interesting. Keep writing, I love hearing from everyone. I love you all and thank you for your support. Take care and be good.
 
 
Much love,
 
Elder Eric James Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment