Monday, March 19, 2012

Shout Out to Allred--Good to See Ya' Buddy (March 19, 2012)

Hey everyone!

We've had quite the busy week! Stake coordination meetings were this week, so we spent time preparing for that. We've really been better at preparing packets and information in advance and not waiting until Saturday night. This week we had quite the scare. There's a flash drive that contains all of the paperwork for us as zone leaders. It's gone. Not a clue where it went. I opened the compartment in the truck that it;'s kept in and my stomach leaped up into my throat. We still can't find it. We had to start over and make all new packets for our stake presidents. Yeah, that was fun! I was pretty stressed at first, but we did it. Everything worked out. We did a few exchanges and a few blitz's. The one I did with Elder Walpole was a hoot. He rides his bike really fast and ate it while we were riding home. He skipped up the curb, over a tree root, swerved into the gravel and crashed into a bush. He flew a good four or five feet over his handlebars and landed in the gravel. He's ok, he just scratched his wrists and elbows a bit. We were both laughing pretty hard about it. I wish I had a video of it. Both of his arms were outstretched in front of him and he looked like Superman as he flew through the air. Like I said, he's fine now and we both joke about it. In all seriousness though, if I had a video I could have won $10,000 on America's Funniest Home Videos! Also, the Allred formerly known as Elder (now Thatcher Allred) came back to visit! So good to see him again. I can't believe it's been four months!

We had a great lesson with the Strong family this week. Elder Jones and I tracted into them a few months ago on exchanges. She's an inactive member of the church, and the only in her family. Her husband has become quite interested, and her 14 year old daughter has latched on to a few girls in the ward. She goes to mutual every week and even wants to go to Girls' Camp. They invited us over for dinner a few nights ago for some homemade lasagna. We taught the Restoration of the Gospel after dinner and the Spirit was very strong. Their daughter is very intelligent. She understood the apostasy and restoration more than any other teenager I've taught, except probably Victor (who by the way, is still doing awesome). We'll be having regular weekly lessons with the Strongs and I'm already looking forward to it.

Remember Heather, the sister that Elder Wood and I taught in President Allen's home a few weeks ago? She was baptized on Saturday night. She looked so happy. She had quite the support from her ward, and Sister Allen even sang a beautiful arrangement of "I Stand All Amazed." I still feel intense amounts of gratitude for the prompting that Elder Wood had to accept President Allen's invitation to his home that evening. We even cancelled another appointment just to go. The Spirit was working that powerfully to tell us that was where we needed to be...even if we didn't find out exactly why until we got there. Saturday evening was filled with peace as Elder Wood and I sat in the back row of Heather's baptism. I thought you'd all like to hear that.

On Friday I had a fun experience at the church. Elder Juchau and I were on exchanges and had to use the bathroom at the church. When we went inside, we saw a cleaning cart outside the bathroom. When we got closer, the door opened and out walked Chris and Bro. Crockett! Bro. Crockett was cleaning the church and asked Chris to come with him. It was neat to see Chris there doing service in the church even though we'd only taught him here and there. Now, I need to take a moment to glory in the awesomeness of our ward leadership. That same night Bishop McLaws called us asking what we could tell us about Chris. Chris is being taught in the Crockett's home in Copper Canyon, but technically lives in West Point ward. Bishop was going to go to a lesson with us the next day, but suddenly had to cancel. We drove to Bishop's house and explained a little bit about Chris. Bishop McLaws was pretty upset that he couldn't go. He thought for a moment and said, "Hey, can you call them right now? Let's go see them." We called Bro. Crockett, and sure enough he and Chris were still together. Bishop dropped everything he was doing, changed into a shirt and tie and off we went to introduce him to Chris. It couldn't have worked out better. Bishop is such a great example of priesthood and servant leadership. The whole time we were driving there and back, he was always teaching. It really helped me see the importance of those little teaching moments that unexpectedly come up. Yesterday during Copper Canyon sacrament meeting, the speaker talked about how his dad taught him all the time and the little ways he did so. I wrote down some impressions that came to my mind and I look forward to using them. As President Beck would always say, "Elders and Sisters, learning is not compulsory."

Things are great out in the barren deserts! I'll be sure to try and send home some pictures next week and I'll keep you updated on anything new. I love you all and can't wait to hear back from you. Take care and be good. shoutout

Much love,
Elder Eric James Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment