Monday, October 4, 2010

Email from 10/4/10

Hey all!
 
First of all, mom, dad and sis, I sure hope you get a kick out of my email subject and its source. When President Uchtdorf said that in General Conference on Saturday I nearly fell out of my seat I was laughing so hard. So yes, I thought you'd enjoy that. (To those outside of our family...Eric does a spot-on impression of Pres. Uchtdorf, complete with the German accent. He makes us laugh all the time with it. ~ Tim)
 
Dad, thanks for the DearElder this week. Glad to hear that Bomber football is doing so well. As for BYU football, hey it happens. Mom, I hope your New York trip went well! I'm curious to hear about it. Sis I'm glad you're enjoying school and volleyball. I know your birthday is coming up soon, what do you want? I'll try and send you something as close to the 15th as I can. I can't believe you're turning 13, I still remember that night when I met you in the airport. I miss you like crazy sis, and hope you're doing well. Please write as soon as you can, I want to hear how you're doing.
 
This week has been pretty good. The work has been a bit slow, but that happens. Elder Abel and I contacted like crazy. There's not that many people outside during the day because it's so blazing hot. This past week though, there's been a ton of people outside, which was odd because yesterday it was 105. It's starting to cool off a bit. I attached a picture of what I think best reminds me of a Tri-City sunset.
 
 
 
 We've met a lot of nice people. We're still working with Edgar, slowly but surely. He really wants to come to church and mutual with the youth. Michele is doing great, we see her twice a week. Her husband Bob even enjoys the lessons. Bob gave us the nicest compluiment I think I've ever heard from anyone thus far on the mission. Bob has had a series of medical issues, including open heart surgery. His circulation is poor, and causes him to be in a lot of pain. He doesn't enjoy being around people very much because of how much pain he is always feeling. Bob says that throughout his life, he's been to various congregations of other churches, but a lot of the people let him down. He doesn't like how people teach one thing but don't live it. He can't stand hyopcrites. He says that the first few lessons we taught Michele, he was in the other room, but he was still listening.  He liked the things we were saying, and he especially liked how Michele was receiving it. Finally he decided to sit in on the lessons. He likes how we live what we teach. He told us up front, "I like what you teach. I trust you. You're good men." I was shocked. Michele was shocked, and let out a flattered, "WOW." Bob has now expressed interest in going to church with Michele starting this coming Sunday. Incredible.
 
Tomorrow's transfers. Transfers are every six weeks, and I'm kind of on my toes. I'm not worried, I have a feeling that Elder Abel and I will be together through the next transfer. Who knows though, he's been here for the past 7 transfers or something like that. Elder Kear has been here for a year now. Since the mission boundaries were split back in July, missionaries are more condensed and from what I hear, aren't transfered as often as they were before. The boundary before went all the way up to the Utah border, but is now cut off just south of Flagstaff. The mission is roughly half the size of what it was, but President Beck says that the work is exploding. Doctrine and Covenants 133:29 is our mission scripture. It says:
 " 29 And in the barren deserts there shall come forth pools of living water; and the parched ground shall no longer be a thirsty land. "
I laughed when I first read it in the MTC, but it really is powerful. I'm curious to see where the others in the district will end up.
 
I really enjoyed General Conference this weekend. Every conference just gets better and better. I liked President Uchtdorf's talk on humility in the Priesthood session, and President Monson's Sunday morning talk on gratitude, especially where he said, "To live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch heaven." Beautiful. I also liked Elder Holland's talk about how everyone in the church contributes in some way, shape or form. I loved his story about his family's support while he was on his mission. To everyone, I can't thank you enough for what you do to support me and the thousands of other missionaries around the world. I feel somewhat guilty about the days where I'm not trying as hard as I should be. I apologize and will get back to work. I don't want to let anyone down, not my family, not my friends and especially not my Father in Heaven. If He trusts me to serve His children in Arizona then I'd better get to it.
 
I can't wait to hear from you. Take care and be good.
 
 
Much love,
 
Elder Eric James Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment